Crypto Weekly Roundup June 25: A Tribute To McAfee. The Man. The Myth. The Legend.
June 25, 2021
This week, news broke that John McAfee died in prison after allegedly committing suicide.
More than anyone else, this man personified “crazy genius.” Today, let’s pay homage to the man and his weird life.
From Rags To Riches
McAfee was born in poverty and had a very troubled childhood because of his abusive and alcoholic father. However, because he did very well academically and worked in NASA, Xerox, etc. He started McAfee Associates and released the famous anti-virus software that made it big. McAfee ended up becoming a multi-millionaire before he sold off his shares of the company.
Following the 2008 recession, wherein his net worth plunged from $100 million to $4 million. What happened afterward is one of the most deranged stories you’ll ever hear/ to be told:
- McAfee first moved to Belize to use the forest to make all-natural antibiotics. However, his house was raided when the police suspected him of making meth.
- He was a person of interest in the murder of his neighbor.
- He fled to Guatemala for asylum and returned to Belize when his request was declined.
- He faked two heart attacks to avoid prison and was deported back to the USA.
- He started the “Cyber Party” and ran for president of the US. He then abandoned the party and went to the Republicans instead.
- In October 2020, he was finally arrested in Spain over US tax evasion charges for failing to pay income taxes over a 4-year period.
- During all this, he somehow found time to father 47 children.
Even in his death, the man somehow managed to make things controversial! This is what McAfee tweeted 2 years back:
However… This Not Why Crypto Remembers McAfee
The crypto community remembers John McAfee for making an infamous promise back in 2017. He said that if BTC didn’t hit $100,000 by 2020, he would eat his…err…
So, yeah, as you can imagine, this phallic prophecy caused quite a stir in the community. Unfortunately, BTC went into a bear market in 2018, and suddenly, everyone started wondering about Mr. McAfee’s well-being. At one point, Bitcoin needed to grow an average of $5,494 per day for McAfee not to shrink.
Anyway, As the date crept closer and BTC was nowhere near the 5-figure mark, let alone the 6-figure mark, Bitcoiners around the world started arranging…sigh… “Dickening” parties.
Yeah….crypto is weird.
Anyway, people started arranging these parties with gingerbread man cookies designed to look like McAfee missing certain body parts. (Click here If you must see them.)
Now, this is when something dramatic happened. We had an M. Night Shyamalanesque twist.
Turns out…it was a ruse all along!!
*cue dramatic music*
RIP John McAfee.
Shine on you crazy diamond.